Last week, same day, same time, same place, same people.. but the presenter was me! My first journal club presentation!! ..shouldn’t be afraid, I didn’t feel nervous, it just feeling not prepared well yet, right before the real moment!
Weeks ago I have picked up a journal paper (topic) to share and read through and it's interesting.. and the mistake was I thought it was easy.. Until that critical week, I started to seriously look into details and make slideshow. ..Still I wasn’t that really focus (another mistake), but the good thing was I went out, with lab members to the longest night market (pasar malam), all the way to
Oops.. here came the serious matter! Day before journal club, I was struggling, how to present those points to the members, just how?? Many experiments and datas and.. how to make them understand, what I’m talking about?? Do I understand?? Will they interested on the topic?? It is related to their interest?? ..confusing the whole day and night and even, I did not really sleep, just to finish up the slideshow for tomorrow morning! Why, suddenly so uncertain about everything?? ..the thoughts ran here and there!! My mind was just jammed..
Right before the exciting morning, I was thinking to cancel the talk and postpone it.. just give up and run away.. lost patient.. BUT!! Later, I get myself calm down and think.. Yes, give up! ..give up to make the best presentation! ..give up to be top presenter! ..give up to show off! ..give up the EGOness! Ho.. break the mind! ..and just share what I know, just face the fellow members and just be there and learn!
I asked the member audiences prior the computer ready, ‘can I postpone the talk?’, and it turned into a joke! Haha! Nice joke! But I might be serious at that moment.. Anyway, I faced them and give them what I got. Though, I was unbelievably spontaneous, but it was a slow pace, emm.. average one word per second, stretched to one hour, a little boring, somehow a little blur, seminar. It wasn’t my first presentation in front of lab members, nevertheless I was.. not ready yet. By the way, I felt it was good trial (for me), a memorable confuse, and a good learning! This week, I became the audience.