"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

June 03, 2008

Too soft; Too hard; Now, better be like WATER..

Later.. I was a university tutor and was very strict to students, and I thought it was for their good before understanding. However, being overly serious gave rise to opposition, which of no benefit to both side (for what?). Now I realize.. they (students) might not be able to catch up or it might not be a suitable way, at least for them and there are many WAYS.. The goal as TEACHER, should for their students' growth (also themselves, perhaps) with understanding and NEVER one way fit all (selfishness). Thus, HE said I'm ‘too stiff'! (过阳) Ya, lately especially I was.. but doesn't mean strong. Therefore, I should be soften up.. but until what suitable level?