"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

May 21, 2008

Study aboard seems More PROS!

Many of us want to study aboard. What is so good? Is an oversea graduate necessary? IF someone who is dreaming to ‘fly’, he has to consider the PROS and CONS, anyway determination is everything, perhaps!

PROS: (for the sake of exposure!)
  1. To travel oversea.
  2. To explore different places.
  3. To feel different seasons.
  4. To know different traditional cultures.
  5. To make new friends or build relationship.
  6. To learn take care and survival skills to be independent.
  7. To search for more opportunity in any aspect of life.
  8. To look for new ideas and unique ways of seeing the world.
  9. To expend our context in terms of what is possible.
  10. To practice the advance of science and technology.
  11. To be different and special in life, without regret.
  12. To train under different scientific atmosphere and passion.
  13. To experience more latest research approaches and techniques.
  14. To connect to scientists globally.
  15. To find more like-minded people and group up.
  16. To see the world and do more things.
CONS: (but explainable..)
  1. Nobody care about, if get sick (but there are new friends).
  2. No contact for activity but alone (can rebuild network in new place, what).
  3. Nobody can help when in difficulty (there is always people out there).
  4. It is too costly, can’t afford to (but what if given scholarship?).
  5. There will be many problems (we should be good in problem-solving, neither making nor ignoring).
  6. Too far from home, miss home (we should visit home often).
  7. Away from family (keep in touch with everyday, internet is useful).
  8. Parents is lonely at home, we should stay by their side always (err.. sadly, true.. yes. But..)
  9. Why not work hard in local university until succeeded (when can we succeeded? what kind of success? does that matter?).
  10. Its familiar to stay local, its comfortable (get out of comfort zone if can; that's what people say).
  11. BUT we can't get offer, no scholarship.. cannot.. (who say we can't? It's ourselves who surrendered! Did you really look for? It's possible!).
  12. Might lose your loved one since will be distanced.. (sad, but understandable sometime.. he/she will).
  13. the countries except those has THES-listed University, never heard of, don't know good or not.. same like local one. (it's about exposure and a difference experience that mean special in life, i think.)
  14. some countries have dangerous natural disaster, hence stay back will lower risk.. (but forever??)
  15. We just want to stay here! (Well, if we really wish to, why not? It's GOOD, indeed. Hehe..).

By the way, the PROS here can also be achieved if we stay local, it depends (mmm.. does it really no different?). Well, the choice is up to individual interest!