"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

October 13, 2008

Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP).. from Nobel Winner!

Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2008 – Osamu Shimomura, Martin Chalfie and Roger Y.Tsien! I was reading and about to use GFP in my previous research, without realizing they discovered this useful and easier color marker. GFP is indeed making molecules and in turn the cells become clearly visible for long period of time, and observable mobility in real time under fluorescent microscope. GFP was extracted from Jellyfish, Aequorea Victoria and now there are various colors of fluorescent protein like red (RFP), blue (CFP), orange… The FP can track cell migration (neural stem cell, tumor cell), molecular activity (protein interaction), apart from identification and multiple-coloring in live or fixed cell. Still, I was and am just user of stuffs created by the Nobel person. I got to work harder!

 ..talking about Nobel prize, Alfred Nobel set up the foundation for the prize at 1895 and since 1901, many from all over the world had been honored with this highest award in physics, chemistry, medicine, literature, and for work in peace. Check about Alfred Nobel (Who?) and his last will at https://nobelprize.org/. I wonder how many Malaysians aware of or thinking of themselves be one of the winners, or working hard toward the honorary award. (anybody care?). Well, not everyone can... but certainly Malaysia has not yet one awarded man! (many countries too, though). Why,why? What is lacking here? How to become or cultivate one outstanding person?