"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

January 03, 2009

It's the Environment! ..not DNA merely

An interesting BOOK (quite expensive..), which I accidentally found, bought and just finished last month.. 'The Biology of Belief', by Dr Bruce Lipton, which is awarded the Best Science Book 2006! Yes, I initially thought (by its title), it is explaining about 'The Secret' or only about the brain biology. Emm, 'The Secret' is also good, but it presented like magic without needing to work it out, thought I absolutely agreed with the principle (believe in good or think positive or determined will).

However, I perceived that in 'The Biology of Belief', the author does not seem to agree fully about the DNA as controller of life, which have been dominating Science.. although he was too a conventional biologist and used to teach medical students about the 'power' of DNA, just later he doubted.. In his book, he emphasized about the importance of the ENVIRONMENT an individual lives in or grows up with, that nurture or cultivate a person, or perhaps, a great guy.. Yes, the people we meet, the life we live on, the information we take, the condition we satisfy with, and the everything surrounding us mean very much, as well as how we perceived or believed in (our responses), about what we encountered...

The book isn't very deep biology, but rather mixed with philosophy, and sociology! It is easy to understand, and gave NEW idea. The author got insight from his observation of how environment changes cultured cells (growth, behavior, 'happiness'..) under microscope.. He called something, Epigenetic (biology term) and relate to quantum physics (physics term in energy study).. So Interestingly, cells living in big community of trillions cells in our body is somehow comparable to us (all living organism) in huge population all over the world. Therefore, environment has very close relationship with a cell's life, so is to a person's life to SUCCESS. Because it is the ENVIRONMENT that shapes a person (thought, behaviour, attitude, health..), while people are changing the environment, the nature...