"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

August 07, 2016

An "island" thing?

People used to say, "No man is an island." Well, not only man.

The thing is who wants to be "an island" actually. And, who became "an island" nowadays (with things like Facebook/Twitter). If you perceive nobody as "an island". Say, we might be a talkative and social-able person. Maybe. We simply can approach someone around who looks like "an island" and talk to them. Maybe they often are alone and quiet (or introvert?) and sometimes need a company. It is okay to we go for coffee/tea and a sandwich next time (not every times) and even can become friends.

But then, people say that you do not have to be nice to everybody. Does that mean should isolate/ignore some others (sounds like "discriminate"?). So, like-minded people come together and run their own group--one rather bigger "island". (maybe not sound like "bias"). So do many other groups. Well, there may be good and bad at work and in life with the "island" thing. Also, it is a preference thing because people compare the groups. Some like to join one big "island" but not the other, and some are fine not part of "an island". We adjust it.

It is okay regardless of the "island". People.