"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

May 28, 2008

Do humans use only 10% of their brain?


NO! Why is it not 20% or 30% but 10%? How can neuroscientist measure, anyway? They hare investigated down to molecular and nanometer level but still can’t see through the brain (in live). Not yet… The brain is too complicated and it would be too early to conclude how many percent of brain is being utilized. There are many electrochemical reactions occur in many cell types, of many complex neural connectivity, at many brain areas, that made up the brain, whereby they all are functionally important for an optimum brain! They (neural and non-neural cells) are in fact working together in many combinations, which lead to various ability of the brain.

However, the brain does have many unknown or unclear, particularly its subjective capability (thinking, emotion, senses, consciousness), and even how the brain actually works still nobody can explain (near) accurately. I agree with we might have known little about the brain, or perhaps we have not known what this sophisticated living computer/machine is! Thus, there is growing interests in brain research using multidisciplinary approaches, in order to seek break-through somewhere, someday!!