"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

November 27, 2008

Visit Taiwan 2008! 004 - Tradition and mountains

Taipei During weekend, there are two renowned suburb in Taipei that most tourists would go and experience mountains, tradition, riverside, and hot spring. During Japanese colonization, Jioufen 九份 was in the peak time due to gold mining activity since 1893 but went into decline in 1971 after WWII and was forgotten. In 1989, Hou Hsiao-hsien's A City of Sadness, the firm to reflects 228 Incident (a taboo subject in Taiwan) revived Jioufen and attracted many people to visit sentiment scenery of Jioufen as in the film. Thus, we can see cafes, tea houses, and stores of Chinese traditional style as well as the survived Japanese Inns. Jioufen was popular in 2001 because of anime movie, Spirited Away, which captured its downtown views (referred wikipedia). You can also enjoy the scenic view of surrounding mountains, while shopping souvenirs and eating.. when you face with the wonderful nature, your mind is calm, to find ANSWER in life...

to be continue...1, 2, 3, 4, 5