"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

November 29, 2008

Visit Taiwan 2008! 005 - Hot spring and sea-side

Another place I visited, which has been developed as a hot spring resort since the Japanese era (1895-1945) - new Beitou 北投. (referred wikipedia). I went for hot spring bath (initially), however I did manage to bath my legs in the drain-like small river, running with hot spring water from Geothermal valley 地熱谷, where water temperature can reach 100°C and you can see steam! I can feel the water that was bathing my legs, was about 80°C I guess, its (tolerantly) HOT! Taipei
Tamsui 淡水, a sea-side town, which is a popular site to see sun-setting into the Taiwan strait. I appreciated sunset very much… In 1641, the Spanish settled in Tamsui and followed by the Dutch in 1661. During 19th century, the Qing Dynasty, Tamsui was major fishing and trade port but by the 20th century (the Japanese ruling), it no longer was.. After WWII, it became small fishing town and gradually attracted many tourists. (referred wikipedia). It is ROMANTIC place for couples, people do cycling, or sit by and watch the SUNSET (who was the lovely couple in the photo? is it.. err..) then night time at fisherman’s wharf 漁人碼頭, you can eat seafood while enjoying soothing wind from the scenic sea and live music.. I like this place.
to be continue...1, 2, 3, 4, 5