"When I was young I set out to change the world.
When I grew older I perceived that this was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my state.
This too, I realized as I grew older, was too ambitious,
so I set out to change my town.
When I realized that I could not do even this, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man I know that I should have started by changing myself.
If I had started with myself, maybe then I would have succeeded
in changing my family, the town, or even the state-
and who knows, maybe the world."
(unknown)

July 29, 2016

Things with light

Today, more things that emit light are placed on the streets and in every buildings and in front of us (e.g. the Surface RT I'm typing) for many purposes. What's more have we learned about effects of light on our body/health. The eyes detect light with some photoreceptors allowing us to see the things. Besides, we may sense light without seeing and this is a thing.

Do we have those photoreceptors that are not for seeing things (non-visual ones)?? Yes, there are some in the eyes. And the thing is some also found in the brain. Not sure if they work though. Those things seem to function (i.e. to detect light) in the brain of birds, frogs, and fish. What they have to do with the body systems remains mystery.

My past work?? Say this review. I documented where those photoreceptors are located in the fish brain (organized in a map). Currently known ones. Those things are present in many brain areas that seem to respond to light/dark. Also, they may communicate with major chemical systems in the fish brain that are similar among the brain of other animals and so they are quite important.

How each of those photoreceptors does in the brain that controls body and behaviors of fish?? (e.g. maybe the timing fish develop/mature or spawn eggs, or the pattern fish sleep/move or respond to things). So, next things to look at, like this new work. Also hope to learn about those things in other animals.

Okay,  I wrote a neuro thing. Also have a little warm-up for upcoming job interview. It's time for me to fly overseas soon (maybe get to try Pokémon Go). First, prepare to "catch" the job!!